Clients frequently ask about best practices for engaging an executive coach. While not an exhaustive list, there are four familiar patterns:
(1) Helping a technical expert step into a leadership role;
(2) Helping the new CXO get assimilated quickly;
(3) Helping a seasoned exec target certain skills for development; and
(4) Helping a leader and team get on the same page.
Read our documented client cases. Then, call us at 212-332-7150 and schedule a free, no-obligation phone consultation with Gale Alexander to see if you qualify to work with Ephraim Schachter.
The Board approved the CEO’s proposal of a twelve-month horizon for the COO to achieve stretch-targets including the cultivation of a recognized leader persona and the rollout of three new products.
We designed and delivered ongoing one-on-one executive coaching to bring tools, approaches and perspectives and provide an impartial sounding board to help the COO manage to both stretch targets.
• Gathered 360-degree feedback about COO’s leadership presence from key constituents to provide an unvarnished snapshot of perceptions
• Identified desired leader behavioral profile for the organization which called for greater strategic focus, directness and inspiration from the COO
• Immersed COO in strategic thinking and communication frameworks and approaches
• Steadily worked the new desired behaviors with targeted “homework” assignments
• Mapped stakeholder constituencies and implemented plan for “charm offensive” to cultivate relationships with key stakeholders and influencers
· Products Rollout:
• Helped COO organize the work to maximize delegation and foster professional development of his high-performing direct reports
• Steeped COO in proven frameworks for leading and facilitating high performance teams
• Co-designed with COO meeting and interaction structure to engage with and oversee direct reports’ work
• Set development goals for direct reports and reworked project plans to target development opportunities for each
The COO achieved the prescribed product stretch-targets. Moreover, post-coaching engagement interviews showed a dramatic increase in the organization’s perception of him as an executive leader. The Board approved his promotion to CEO.
The COO sought to help the new CMO to get traction in her new role ASAP and assert credible leadership with her team and the organization.
We designed and performed assessments to establish baselines for the CMO including:
· An Organizational Diagnostic report
· A Stakeholder/Influencer maps
· A Team talent / bench strength profile
· Action plans
We delivered ongoing one-on-one executive coaching to bring tools, approaches and perspectives and provide an impartial sounding board to help the CMO successfully transition. Moreover, we facilitated team alignment processes, including
· A New Leader Jumpstart acceleration event and
· Periodic offsite strategic alignment meetings
The Marketing team hit all major productivity and performance targets. Their boss, the new CMO, was identified as “rising star” and her role expanded within her first two quarters on the job.
The CFO’s near-term objectives were to restructure the Finance function and solidify her roles as a contributing executive team member and as trusted advisor to her boss, the CEO. She recognized the imperative to reconsider her executive leadership, peer collaboration, and organizational influence abilities.
We designed and delivered ongoing one-on-one executive coaching to bring tools, approaches and perspectives and provide an impartial sounding board to help the CFO manage to both objectives.
- Gathered 360-degree feedback about CFO’s executive leadership, peer collaboration, and organizational influence abilities from key constituents to provide an unvarnished snapshot of how perceived
- Identified desired behavior set
- Immersed CFO in collaborative leadership frameworks and approaches
- Steadily worked the new desired behaviors with targeted “homework” assignments
- Elicited development out of the CFO by helping her focus her thinking, generate and consider opportunities and implications, accelerate considered action and reflect on the learning continually
- Designed process to help CFO map stakeholder constituencies and invite relevant parties to participate directly in design and implementation of work plans to restructure Finance function
- Supported CFO in identifying shared and differing “wins” for key stakeholders
After six months, performed 360-degree feedback review, re-polling the original interviewees.
The CFO adapted new approaches to drive results with and through co-workers. Her second 360 review showed significant gains in each developmental area paving the way for her to restructure Finance and achieve high performance targets.
The BU president sought support aligning the team around strategy and execution of plan and to enhance the business acumen and leadership development needs of individual members of his team.
We designed and delivered an assessment & feedback process delving into team and individual member performance including the following components:
- Interview-based diagnostic assessment with team members mapped against a framework of team effectiveness
- Three-part personality assessment surveys for each team member and facilitated one-on-one feedback sessions to review individual results and discuss professional development implications
- Design and facilitation of offsite teambuilding event for team to review all results, jointly problem-solve and plan action steps
Following from the offsite teambuilding event, we organized team members into task forces chartered to generate and own alignment initiatives.
We delivered ongoing one-on-one executive coaching to bring tools, approaches and perspectives and provide an impartial sounding board to help the BU president manage the team and support its progress.
Team members “unbundled” the obstacles impeding collaboration and generated silo-crossing procedures for interaction resulting in meeting plan for the fiscal year. Also, the BU president cultivated sophisticated skills to manage the team on an ongoing basis for high performance.